Category Archives: Maine

Airplanes and Rainbows

IMG_0530

I’ve mentioned in other posts some of the rewards program bennies offered by airlines and such. One treat you get where airline status means absolutely nothing, is stellar sunrises and sunsets from the air.

This photo above is one I took from the plane a couple of weeks ago when landing in Portland, ME. The east coast had been thoroughly drenched by rain for days on end. You can still see the rain in the distance in the photo. In this shot the clouds were starting to break up, and some sun was poking through. This was a fantastic view as we made our final descent. I didn’t want to look like a tourist taking pics from the airplane window, but I decided to screw it and take the pics anyway because the scenery was breathtaking.

Others were taking pictures too. I imagined we looked like a tour bus of kids at Disney with our faces smashed against the glass as we looked out. As we were almost on the ground I spotted the fattest rainbow ever. We touched down the rainbow was somehow even bigger. A murmur arose within the plane and camera phones started going crazy. One lady in the front of the plane got super excited, announcing that the rainbow was for her. Maybe it was for her. Maybe it was for all of us.

I don’t get too giddy over rainbows, but this one was dang impressive. I was more enamored with the people on the plane and the unified response to the big, honking rainbow than I was with the rainbow itself. I deliberately did not take a picture of the rainbow since a camera phone photo could never capture the essence of delight by many on the plane. Either way, it was a memorable landing that day. Can’t buy that with airline status, first class seating, or no baggage fees. Can’t buy that, period.

 

Photo by me. Portland, ME, October 2014

 

Winter in Maine

ice

 

Winter approaches rapidly for Maine residents. In fact, some could argue that it has already arrived given the massive dump of snow we received over the weekend.

Here are a few things to keep in mind this winter with some lesser known factoids about the fantastic folks that live in this gorgeous state.

Mainers are more daunted by the endless political ads this time of year than the thought of ice and snow.

Of the 0.1% of the Maine population that actually LIKES political ads (which are usually the politicians), the other 99.9% prays those folks are eaten first by the zombies.

Those percentages are completely made up, but I’m sure if a study was done, they would be proven as fact. Go Zombies!

For Maine dog owners, those little (and some not so little) land mines may be buried by the snow now, but never fear, they will still be waiting for you in the spring. Your best bet is to use the snowblower to chop them up and toss them into the woods, or your neighbor’s yard. Your choice.

Next time you’re putting on your winter coat and can’t find one of the arm holes, stop and have a laugh. I did this the yesterday, spinning and fishing for the elusive arm sleeve hole. Finally I stopped and laughed at myself for looking like a moron in the parking lot. By laughing, I at least made myself a happy moron. :)

Enjoy this year’s winter. It’s only going to last, oh, I don’t know, at least 6 months. Get out and play. If nothing else, start a snowball fight with a tree. You’re guaranteed to win…maybe. Trees can be sneaky in a snowball fight. Better bring a shovel.

 

Photo by me, Dec 2013, Leeds, Maine